Thursday, March 15, 2012

An Interesting little story about SIREN

Hello hello there! Happy spring to all you North-American'ers out there, and happy hot summer if you're in South America (I feel for you, I really do OTL)
I wanted to share an interesting little story about a series of games titled "Siren" ("Forbidden Siren" in Europe).

It all started with 4PlayerPodcast. I love them dearly, and when I had a stable internet connection, I watched them almost every night! It was especially fun to watch Brad play Nightmare house and Joeseph play Daggerfall. Well my friend Kyanna, another avid 4PP watcher, told me that they had played Siren: Blood Curse before and that it was a scary game. I have this "thing" (for lack of a better word) with survival horror games and so I decided to check the video out, and got a good laugh!

That led to me searching the depths of Youtube once more to find that someone had actually played through Siren: Blood Curse in 2009. I got addicted to the Let's Play and watched the entire thing in just a few days. (Username: 666TheHeartless666) <-- and he's extremely funny by the way, I recommend checking out his other videos as well.


Just a few days after viewing the playthrough, I found this article on Hardcoregaming101 (I am also addicted to this website, and you can read the article here: http://hg101.kontek.net/siren/siren.htm )
It's a length read, but it's good. I read the entire thing xD LOL

Again, a short time after discovering and reading this article, I went to the local flea market, looking for nothing in particular. I came by a kiosk with a bin of PS2 games for 2 dollars each. Low and behold... guess what I found there...

This is starting to sound like a creepypasta eh? Well It was certainly interesting, especially with my newfound interest in this series of games.
I haven't gotten to play too far through it (I'm partially waiting till I can get equipment that will let me record from my TV) because I want to do a first-time blind Let's play. Though even if it wasn't blind, I'd mess up enough for anyone's amusement. This game is a trial and error terrorfest of semi confusion (the map is nearly useless, you can't see your direct position but you can get a relative idea of where you are.) And the scenery is incredibly difficult to see, it's nearly pitch black with the only thing saving me being the brightness level on my TV.

I've read the plot summary for Siren: Blood Curse (the re-imagining of the original Siren) and the entire plot is a paradox that I can barely, if at all, wrap my head around. Though something about it still mystifies me... maybe I should become a detective? Hahaha!

This isn't Silent Hill, but it is good if you're looking for a way to bring your frustration and patience to new limits. Though hey, it could be worse. I could be recommending that PS1 game, "The Note".

No comments:

Post a Comment