Friday, September 14, 2012

PS3 HDMI Cable Output Problem (Solution)

Hello there fellow PS3 owners! Today I wanted to post something a bit different because of a problem I've been having with my PS3.

Problem: I plug the HDMI cable into the PS3 and the TV, but all I get is a black screen! Help!

For this particular problem, there are two solutions. However, these solutions are also dependent on your TV as well. Allow me to explain.

Scenario 1: My HDMI has previously worked fine. One day, however, I turned it on to be greeted by a black screen. Why does this happen and what can I do to fix it?

This is the main problem that I've been having. Let's say you're like me and you only have one HDMI cable. Naturally, you'd have to switch it between devices every time you want to use them. For example, my HDMI cable came with my DirecTV DVR box, so I use it not only for the satellite box but with the PS3 as well. I have to exchange the cords a lot. All of the sudden, one day I get a black screen and no display from the PS3 console.

What happened is that we've gone forward in technology but backwards in bullshitiness. Basically, because of the frequent switching, the TV got confused. The solution is much easier than you may imagine.

Solution: Unplug your TV and PS3 while they are both turned OFF. If you're using a power strip, you can just flip the switch. Wait about 5-8 minutes before switching everything back on and trying again. If done correctly, your PS3 should now be getting output.

Proof: This has happened to me 3 separate times and this solution has worked for me. I ended up having to search through about 6 pages of Google. The reason why this may come as a "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?" is because we don't think it's a problem with the power. Truth be told, giving your overworked TV a few minutes of rest puts things back in order.

Scenario 2: I replaced my TV and now the HDMI output doesn't work. What now? / I lost my HDMI cable but the A/V cables do not work.

This is another common problem that can be overlooked. Not all HD TV's are made equal. If you forget to reformat your PS3 so you can fix the resolution and other settings, there's no need to worry. Sony thought of that, and they made a simple solution.

Solution: Make sure you have your A/V cables plugged in (for those less tech-savvy, those are the 3 colored cords). Upon turning on your PS3, hold down the power button for about 5 seconds. You should be getting output from the A/V cables, as the display has reset itself. Now you can make necessary adjustments before switching back to HDMI.

Did you know? The PS2 has the same AV Cable jack, so if you happen to own a PS2 or PS1, you can use the cables from those consoles in case you have lost your PS3 AV cables somewhere. I always say at least keep them somewhere, cause you never know what may happen!



Thus concludes my help for today. I've not only tried these out but I've done my fair share of research. It took me quite a lot of time and multiple forum hits with no clear answer. I wanted to post these solutions in an easily-accessible, easy-to-read format. If any other issues or solutions surface, I'll be sure to update. Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment